Red Cabbage, Bacon & Avocado Salad
This salad is SO delicious! When hubs and I tried out the Paleo diet for a few weeks (yes, embarrassingly, it only lasted about that long…), he suggested this salad. Before trying it, I turned up my nose, admittedly. It was so….green and purple and fresh. Ugh, right? I have always had to rather force myself to eat vegetables, it’s true. But after actually trying this, I was so impressed, so surprised, at how amazingly satisfying and delicious it was!
The clean freshness of this brought such delight!
A couple recommendations…make sure you cook the bacon until nice and crunchy. This adds to the satisfying texture of each bite. Also, don’t cut the avocado until ready to serve so that the pieces don’t brown.
1 small head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
4 pieces bacon, cooked crispy
½ cup fresh flay leaf parsley, chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
4 large radishes, thinly sliced
¼ cup slivered almonds
1 large avocado, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
Kosher salt to taste
- In the jar of a blender, combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients.
- Blend until smooth and creamy
- Season to taste with kosher salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, bacon and parsley.
- Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette and toss to coat.
- Add in the radishes, almonds and green onion, tossing again to coat.
- Season to taste with kosher salt.
- Place on plates or into bowls, and top with avocado chunks.
Haylie Pomroy’s Jambalaya
This recipe is from Hayley Pomroy’s blog. It is DELISH! I used chorizo instead of turkey sausage and real pork bacon. So, yeah, my version turned out to be not so diet-y….but man, was it yummy!!
One little hint….while I was sautéing the bacon and sausage together, I cooked it slow and long. It caused the edges of the chorizo to become slightly crunchy and so perfect!
Check it out here: